After a record year of motorcycle fatalities, the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) launched the “Some Things are Hard to See” campaign to help reduce accidents. So far, the extra effort appears to be working.
After 140 motorcyclists were killed in Colorado during 2020, throughout 2021 there have been a total of 59 motorcycle deaths compared to 72 deaths this time last year.
The CDOT released tips to help drivers keep track of motorcyclists:
– Allow extra space when following a motorcycle
– Allow motorcycles the full width of a lane at all times
– Use extra caution when turning left at an intersection – motorcycles can be hard to see from a distance
– Check twice for motorcycles before turning, changing lanes or merging with traffic.
– Never drive distracted or impaired