As a web provider in the powersports industry, we notice that most dealers don’t put a TON of thought into their “About Us” page. It may seem like a necessary evil, something boring that no one will actually read. Stop right there —that is the WRONG idea!
One of the most effective ways to get and keep customers is through earning their trust. Your dealership’s “About Us” page presents a perfect opportunity to tell potential customers who visit your site why they should buy from you.
Not only does this page help your dealership connect with customers, it can also be a method to drive traffic organically to your site! The more keywords and phrases on this page that relate to your business and the types of units you sell, the better SEO results you can bring in. Search engines favor web pages that accomplish this – but in a genuine way. That should be easy to do. Write about what you know and it will come naturally! An “About Us” page that is simply stuffed with keywords will do the opposite of drawing customers in and earning their trust, and that should be your #1 goal.
In addition, your “About Us” page should be linked to your website’s main navigation bar, meaning it can be reached from any other page on the site. That creates a high priority on that page for search engines, and an especially useful page to optimize with valuable keywords and written content.
Here are some tips for making your “About Us” page appealing, interesting, and more likely to help your dealership:
- Write conversationally, and show your dealership’s personality. If there are certain industry-specific or slang words/phrases that you often use in real life, don’t hesitate to use them here (as long as they are appropriate, of course). You can be professional while still being yourself.
- Tell a story. Especially if you’re struggling with ideas for what to talk about, tell a story! How you started your business, why you’re passionate about powersports, the ways your dealership has changed over time – you DO have a story to tell. You probably have lots of them!
- Give website visitors your “why.” What can you do to help them? Why should they come to your dealership over your competitor’s?
- Use images and/or video to provide illustration of your dealership’s story. Most people are visual, so an image of your storefront or staff members or a video that gives a tour around your dealership can go a long way.
- Take this page as an opportunity to generate action. Provide a Call to Action button for visitors to submit a lead, an opt-in form for your dealership’s e-newsletter, links to your social media pages, and more. While your “About Us” page isn’t intended to sell, it can still drive action. Let this content be a reason people choose to engage with your business!
We know we’ve given you a lot to write about, but one last tip: The content on your “About Us” page shouldn’t be TOO long, and the text should be broken up into paragraphs and/or by the visual elements you provide for easier readability. Best practice for word count is about 500.
Happy writing! We can’t wait to learn more about you.
Lauren McLean is the Public Relations Manager at Dealer Spike, a leading web services provider for powersports dealerships. The award-winning digital advertising company is focused on helping dealers increase sales through powerful, distinctive website design and a full suite of online marketing tools to drive results. Dealer Spike’s expertise comes from real-world dealership experience and a team of professionals who also ride. When you work with Dealer Spike, you’re working with digital marketing experts who have a passion for your industry.